Do you want to buy a weather station for your home or office but can’t decide which one to choose? Check our guide for the best atomic clock weather stations!
What is a personal weather station and what use are they?
A personal weather station is a set of instruments to measure the weather conditions in a specific environment built by private individuals. So, it clearly means that you can build your own weather station so that you will have the most accurate results in knowing the weather in your region.
Yes, mobile applications are useful but the weather station whose data they show can be miles away from you. Thus, their precision is subject to questions.
Atomic clocks are the most precise clock types ever invented. Their accuracy is so top-notch that they do not lose or gain any seconds at any given time.
If you decided to buy a weather station on your own and could not decide because there are too many options, here is a guide for the best atomic clock weather stations.
1. Ambient Weather WS-2801-X2
The Ambient Weather WS-2801-X2 is our first choice here. It has a great design when it comes to its display unit. Everything looks so neat on their display unit and the unit shows measurements such as the air pressure, outdoor temperature and humidity and the indoor temperature and humidity.
Thanks to the atmospheric pressure, it shows the forecast and the indoor humidity is a good indicator to prevent molding at home or in office. It has a transmitting capacity of up to 300 feet. Also, it automatically updates the hour for Daylight Savings Time.
One thing to be mentioned is that the Ambient Weather WS-2801-X2 has an update rate of 60 seconds. This can be considered slow but it will not change much for beginner use.
- It has a small but easy-to-read LCD screen.
- It keeps records of minimum and maximum levels which you can reset daily or manually.
- The WS-2801-X2 is one of the most affordable weather stations in the market. However, it does not mean it is a catchpenny. It does its job perfectly.
- Atomic clock ensures that your clock is always accurate and it will never deviate.
- I like it when you can have the option to add remote sensors. This weather station can have up to three sensors.
- It shows the moon phase using your calendar date.
- The fact that you cannot turn off the backlight can be a bit annoying if you keep the unit in your bedroom.
2. AcuRite 02081M
The Acurite 02081M has probably the best display unit graphics on our list. It shows indoor and outdoor data and the future forecast on its user interface. The texts and graphics on the unit are large enough to see it even from far away.
Right next to the temperatures, you can see highs and lows.
The remote sensor it employs is a small, handy tool that accurately gathers data and transmits it to your display unit very easily. It works as far as 330 feet, which is perfect for your indoors or outdoors.
The future forecast part has a modern look with its well-designed icons. It shows sunny, partly sunny, cloudy, and many more.
Overall, it is an easy-to-set, easy-to-read product. Let’s get to its features.
- The forecast section works pretty well. So, it forecasts 12 to 24 hours.
- The outdoor sensor updates its measurements every 16 seconds. So, this is like professional weather station standards.
- Its A/C adapter is very durable but in case of a power outage, there is a battery department as a back-up.
- AcuRite’s patented algorithm uses a different measurement to forecast the weather up to fourteen days. So, it makes forecasts more accurate.
- The outstanding design feels like it is even a more professional type of weather than it actually is.
- The outdoor sensor updating the weather every 16 seconds is one big surplus.
- An extra power source is good but when it is in battery mode, you will not be able to use all the features.
3. La Crosse Technology 308-1414MB Wireless Forecast Station
La Crosse Technology’s great weather station for beginners model features many different options. It is highly customizable and you can set alerts. Just like the other stations in our review, the La Crosse 308-1414MB provides an atomic clock that assures your clock has split-second accuracy.
The display unit’s left side is for outside data. There is the signal strength icon next to the outdoor temperature. Right under the temperature section, you can see the weather trends if it is rising, falling or steady. Lastly, the screen shows outdoor humidity levels, as well.
On the right side, you can see the same things but this time it is for inside.
Right in the middle, there are the weather icons that add spice to the display unit. There are different icons such as snowy, sunny, partly sunny, rainy, stormy or cloudy. Finally, we see the time and date.
- You can monitor the mold risk indoors thanks to its high-quality sensors.
- It keeps records of highs and lows. You can reset them manually or daily.
- Signal reception and low battery indicators are of great help.
- The main power source is A/C adapter but the battery department is at your service in case of a power outage.
- The 308-1414MB’s variety of features outpaces its price. The accuracy of the current weather conditions is in a class all by itself.
- You can set alerts if temperatures or humidity levels reach a certain level.
- The forecast section needs to be improved. Yet, it is not the worst quality.
4. X-Sense Weather Station
There comes an elegant weather station. X-Sense is not specifically notorious for its weather stations, but mostly for home safety tools. However, this does not mean that the quality of this weather station is below average. In fact, the company proved to me that their product is a top quality one with their level of customer support.
Its transmission can extend as high as 500 feet which is the highest in our list of weather stations. Moreover, you can add up to 3 sensors in addition to its one home weather station and one outdoor sensor. For example, if you have a greenhouse to check humidity, you can place an extra sensor there.
The display unit looks very fancy, actually. The characters on the unit are easy-to-read with its contrasting colors. The unit’s background is dark while bright texts can be visible from very afar. The home weather station is very large with its 7.7 x 5.2 inches size.
On the top-right side, there are the outside temperature and humidity sections while right under that, there is the indoor temperature and humidity section.
- The level of precision and accuracy is very high. To be clearer, the temperature deviation from the real weather is plus-minus 0.4 Fahrenheit degrees. For humidity, the deviation is about 2 percent.
- Its atomic clock is controlled by radio so, it ensures that the clock is accurate all the time.
- Pre-customizable alerts will alert you when there is a risk of freezing or plant threatening weather conditions.
- The remote sensor has an IPX5 rating. This means that your sensor is water-proof.
- The main power source is an adapter. However, you can also use batteries as a back-up. There are 5 AA batteries in the pack.
- 500 feet transmission range is unearthly for this level of weather station. X-Sense engineers must have put an emphasis on that.
- The easiness of setting alerts stole my heart.
- The energy it consumes is a bit too high.
5. La Crosse Technology WS-9080U-IT-CBP
There is our superstar: The La Crosse Technology WS-9080U. This model is definitely my go-to weather station. Well, I am glad to see that I am not alone feeling that. It is on the top ten list when it comes to the weather stations on Amazon. Apart from its being affordable, it works really well and shows the weather conditions very accurately. It is simple, to-the-point and has pleasant ease of use.
I bought this two years ago for a friend of mine who is definitely not a weather enthusiast or such as he merely wanted to learn about the indoor and outdoor temperature. If you just want to have a better idea of what you need to wear as an outfit, you should definitely look for a simplistic design that does not take up big space at home.
One thing that I really like is its durability. Before writing this piece, I called that friend and asked about his weather station. To my surprise, he said it still works with no problem. He just takes care of his outdoor sensor from time to time and that is more than enough, he said.
The figures are easy-to-read and big enough to read. Synchronization with the outdoor sensor is a piece of cake. All you need to do is turning on your display unit and remote sensor.
- It transmits signals up to 330 feet which is quite the standard.
- The customization and settings are very easy.
- It does not require an A/C adapter, both the display unit and the remote sensor need 2 batteries. So, a total of 4 batteries. However, the pack does not include those batteries.
- I love its durability and clarity.
- The fact that it is eco-friendly is a big surplus.
- Despite its good product design, it has a terrible user guide design.